23 June 2012

Another Saturday night!

Well hello again!  Another Saturday has come and (almost) gone, and Brittany Hollow is ready for the Rhinebeck Farmers Market tomorrow.  How about that rain we had yesterday?  Ross (my brother) and I were out working and continued working through the deluge.  After the oppressive heat we had on Wednesday and Thursday the rain was certainly welcome!

Ross and I braving the storm in the name of veggies!

Tomorrow morning before coming to the market I am going to be picking lots of basil and beautiful baby squash, many of the squash with blossoms attached.  Come early to get your hands on these treasures.  Simply cut them down the middle (including the blossom) and sauté in olive oil, garlic, and a little salt and they are delicious.  We’ll have more broccoli this week too. 

It looks like it is going to be another hot week…don’t you love NY in the summer?  When it is hot, all I feel like eating are salads of various kinds.  I am dying to try this one from one of my favorite blogs: Smitten Kitchen.  Well I have good news for my fellow salad eaters.  We will have lots of salad bags for sale tomorrow!  For those who aren’t familiar, salad bags are a special blend of seven (!) varieties of pesticide-free Brittany Hollow Farm lettuce.  The lettuce is triple-washed and then bagged and topped with a medley of edible flowers (nasturtiums, pansies, violas, arugula flowers, bok choi flowers, and mustard flowers).  All you have to do it pour the bag into a bowl and enjoy!

Here is our professional-grade salad spinner!  Salad for 20 anyone?


Speaking of delicious summer salads, did anyone see the NY Times beet salad recipe?  You can access it here.  I saw this recipe and was instantly salivating.  The other night, I hosted a very small dinner party, and with the oppressive heat we’ve been experiencing I knew this was just the dish to make.  What a great recipe!  I love that it uses the beets as well as the greens.  Both the beets and the greens are a tremendous source of vitamins C, E, K, and A.  I supplemented the greens portion with our Swiss chard and this dish was delicious.  I am an onion, garlic, and vinegar lover so the onion-y taste and the tang from the vinegar were just right for me.  I picked extra beets today just in case you guys want to try the recipe!  ;O) 



You can check out this beet salad recipe here.  I used a medley of golden, purple, and Chiogga beets and
Swiss chard greens/stems!



The perfect summer dinner...cold beet salad and a crostini with mozzarella, prosciutto, and pesto.  Best when made with Brittany Hollow Farm pesticide-free beets and basil of course!  Sheeba waited patiently for a bite of beets and seemed to enjoy them!


See you at the market!

No comments:

Post a Comment